It’s finally time for the big show!
Sports are back along with my pits and heart palpitations! I recently started wearing a Garmin smartwatch and although I love it, I HATE it when it tells me to take a break to “de-stress” during OT. Like come on I know it’s Round Robin seeding but it’s IMPORTANT. Enough with the judgement Garmin, if Pete DeBoer is suiting up for the game then we ALL are suiting up for the damn game. (Unlike Craig Berube who couldn’t be bothered to iron a tie but whatever, do you. I guess you are still technically the Stanley Cup Champion coach in this scenario.)
As for me, whatever happens in the Bubble MATTERS. Okay moving on…
For some reason I had so much more anxiety filling out the bracket this year #2020. I’m not sure why but I’m fairly certain it had something to do with the fact that this year feels like anything goes. With a few exceptions I truly feel like it’s anyone’s chance at this point. I’ve watched some games, heard some stories and below I present my predictions for the Stanley Cup 2020 Playoffs. Some have explanations and some I truly just pulled out of my gut therefore I cannot give you any reasoning.
*ALSO…I know 2020 has been a bitch and people have forgotten this so here is my disclaimer: this is entertainment. To enjoy. It’s not that deep (until the game starts, then don’t talk to me :] )
VGK vs CHI – VGK
– Am I worried? Of course. Because like I always say, watching sports is 75% cheering for your team and 25% hoping they don’t lose so you don’t have to own up to all the shit you talked.
COL vs ARI – COL
DAL vs CGY – CGY
– I never pay attention to Calgary, but I feel like my brother told me they’re decent so I said sure why not.
STL vs VAN – VAN
– Maybe it’s because St. Louis’ coach didn’t wear a tie for our Round Robin game but I feel like the mighty might fall.
PHI vs MTL – PHI
– I vomited in my mouth while choosing this one.
TBL vs CBJ – CBJ
– Part of me really thinks CBJ might pull something out this year.
WSH vs NYI – NYI
– The Barry Trotz of it all.
BOS vs CAR – BOS
– Because I have to but part of me really thinks CAR could surprise us all.
*I find the design of the whole tournament interesting this year and that for the Second Round highest seed plays lowest seed
VGK vs CGY – VGK
– For obvious reasons.
COL vs VAN – COL
– Which means VGK would play them in the WCF. And I 1000% knew during that Round Robin game that it wouldn’t be the last we saw of COL. They’re scrappy and freaking good.
PHI vs CBJ – CBJ
– I really think CBJ might pull it out this year.
BOS vs NYI – BOS
– Because they will have barely made it through the First Round on New England legacy luck alone and learned their lesson for the Second Round.
VGK vs COL – VGK
– I think this will be the toughest of our match ups. It could go to seven games. I most definitely will shit myself – metaphorically of course.
CBJ vs BOS – ???
– There is a part of me that understands how ridiculous it is to have the same Stanley Cup Finals match-up three years in a row. However, there is a different part of me that isn’t sorry at all. Yet a completely separate side of me would really love to see CBJ pull it out this year. I love an unexpected winner and for 2020 it is definitely par for the course.
Stanley Cup Final
VGK vs CBJ – VGK
– So I chose differently this year because, again, #2020. And all I can say is – if we do win, there better not be a virtual victory parade (eye-freaking-roll). Give me a 12 pack of peach High Noons and an in-person victory parade or give me death. (Technically not what Patrick Henry was going for but you get my point.)
*Do I really think VGK will go all the way?
– Yes I really do because 1) I have to have faith in my team and 2) have you seen them play this year??
*Do I think the NHL is a smart league by implementing a Bubble technique?
– Why, yes, actually I do. I’ve tried to watch baseball and it just feels off. I won’t even touch this whole basketball bubble thing.
So what do you think? Am I on track or completely off this planet with my predictions? Let me know!
Oh and don’t forget….